The Employee Engagement Network

What is an engaging title for a presentation about the cost of disengagement?

I would appreciate some help!  I am looking for a "title" for a presentation on staff engagement & leadership.  The title that I have used in the past is "managing people for profit" - trying to appeal to businesses who may not have connected that engagement = successful, profitable and sustainable business.  My business planning coach has prodded me to find a more "engaging" title and I thought who better to ask than the community that is all about engaging?  All ideas welcome, thankyou in advance.

Tags: Presentations, articles, cost, engagement, titles

Views: 323

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with Richard. As an option you could move from 'How to....'   to 'Where to find hidden profits in working with your people'  'Where' as a word chimes more with 'find' and 'hidden'. It might make the seminar a little more challenging but the ultimate answer is 'in their minds' and you can then talk about the how to access those minds.!

Who Cares Wins!

Peter A Hunter

www.breakingthemould.co.uk

What about creation of value as a more engaging idea than simply profit? Profit feels rather cold, hard and functional to me. It feels unidirectional. The company profits from its employees endeavours. How about considering the creation of value instead? Value is still linked to price and therefore conencted to profit, and it has a two way element to it. Just as the buyer reveals what he is willing to pay for something, so too does the seller reveal what it costs him to give up the something.

I find value a much more compelling, binding, reciprocal proposition than profit.

Good point Doug,

Trade is an exchange of value. People enable people. The buyer enables the seller to do something (with the money handed over). The seller enables the buyer to do something by selling what ever it is. In all organisations value has to be created. Just need to turn this into a compelling title. I am not sure the word is a direct replacement in Richard's suggestion - it probably needs a spot more creative thinking!

The cost of disengagement - Most employees' quit their jobs and leave, disenchanted/ disengaged employees' quit their jobs and stay on.

Leadership - Success in leadership, ties to people skills, hardwork, and leadership abilities.

Great point Jacqueline.  I often question longevity as 20 years of experience or 1 year repeated 19 times.  It reminds me of your comment.  So many people dis-engage and just hang around believing they are doing someone a favour.

Hi Shirley,

Making the important connection between strategy and engagement:

'Strategy without execution is pointless. Execution without engagement is impossible.'

Or a fun approach:

'The Good, The Bad & The Disengaged' Sets you up nicely to explain the financial downside of disengaged employees.

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for suggestions.  I really like the first one.
I know this may sound trite - but why not call it - The True Cost of Dis-engagement.  That's what it is, right?

I do a presentation with similar content, titled, "Are You Budgeting for the Cost of [dis]Engagement?"

Great point Kristin.  Often companies will budget for recruitment and rarely for retention; similar principal!  Development of engaging leadership qualities can be budgeted for.  I guess the budget for disengagement is the difference in profit between projected and actual.  Close that gap (which is entirely possible) and it becomes the value proposition within engagement.

Interesting…why do we perceive a need to sugar-coat the cost of disengagement, put a positive spin on it, use a cute metaphor if there is real cost involved?

Possibly because it’s not a line item, nobody owns it?

Kellie and Kristen’s back-to-back comments nail it for me: the true cost of disengagement is what we’re talking about, and part of the issue is that no one budgets for that cost.

RSS

580 Videos Related to Employee Engagement

Click on this eBook listing over 580 videos available on the network. When you open the document up online you can click on the title to go directly to the video. Happy and engaged viewing.

Latest Activity

Robert Morris posted blog posts
15 hours ago
Jacy is now a member of The Employee Engagement Network
yesterday
marjorie walker is now a member of The Employee Engagement Network
Monday
Monday
Jim Taggart posted a blog post
Monday
Saturday
John Junson posted a blog post
Nov 20
Georgia Simon updated their profile
Nov 20
Nov 20
Sybil F. Stershic joined Robert Morris's group
Nov 19
Sybil F. Stershic posted a status
"It's not too early to think about business gift ideas for the holidays ... http://ow.ly/EsT6r"
Nov 19
Ryan Scott posted blog posts
Nov 19

© 2014   Created by David Zinger.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service