The Employee Engagement Network

The latest Leadership Pulse report focuses on a class of employees who are most likely to be poached away as the economy improves.  The data coming from the Leadership study is supplemented with case studies over the last year to support the findings.  The group most likely to be recruited out is what we call the neglected warriors.  These are people who have been 'super' engaged during the recession, helped their company by multi-tasking, and now are unappreciated.  Our research shows they are the people who employees look to in order to get things done, so they are noticed.  We also find they are leaving for other organizations where they will be recognized.  Are you seeing these trends in your organizations? 

The technical report is attached.  NEW.From the war for talent to the battle for future heroes.pdf

Go to www.leadershippulse.com to learn more about the research. 

Tags: employee, employees, engagement, poaching, post, recession, turnover, voluntary

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for sharing the report Theresa. It is indeed a good read.
Theresa:

I appreciated you posting the report it was well presented and informative. I found it quite helpful.

I think it is so unfortunate that we are using the metaphors of war for talent and neglected warriors. Of course the military is well-known for the "rules of engagement" yet I personally cringe at these terms in a time of co-created workplaces based on collaboration, connection, and conversation.

I am not suggesting that we hold hands, sing camp songs, and if we just love everyone things will be happy, happy, happy. There is lots that needs to be done but I will go with the idea of making peace not war. There is far too much damage and loss of life in real war, we don't need to bring it to our workplaces. There I feel a little bit better, I've had my mini rant for the day and I can get "back into the trenches!" :)

David
David,

I am sad to report that I did not appreciate your post.

You contend that using military words will bring damage and loss of life to our workplaces. That is really absurd.

I spent 26 years in the U.S. military and personally know that the Marine Corps was very proficient at producing highly engaged, motivated and committed fighting men. These men are far, far more engaged than is apparent in civilian life.

I would say that the business world has much to learn from the military, none of it being about killing or damaging.

Best regards, Ben
Ben:

I did not mean in the comments to Theresa's work to disparage the work of the military.

It is not the use of military words it is equating getting talent in the workplace as a war or a battle when the real war, at least for Canadians is occurring for out troops in Afghanistan. Trooper Larry Rudd died on May 24th and our Canadian Military honors each solider in Fallen Canadians: http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/fallen-disparus/index-e...

I see things differently Ben. I see it as disrespectful when we equate getting a new engineer or CEO as a war when Canadian soldiers are really at war. I also believe the military has must to teach me and I added the video of Paul Van Riper on this site on April 11th.

I am sad that you were offended by my comments, I in no way meant to dishonor your 26 years in the U.S. military and I apologize for this.

David
David,

Your remarks in no way offended me. I should not have used the word "appreciate".

And I did not think that you were in any way disparaging the work of the military. Using the word war to describe how businesses compete with each other is not offensive to me, actually quite appropriate in many circumstances.

But saying as you did "There is far too much damage and loss of life in real war, we don't need to bring it to our workplaces." clearly infers that we must not use these terms in order to prevent bringing damage and loss of life to our workplaces. I do not believe that is true and consider it quite absurd.

I appreciate your feelings about Fallen Canadians. In the U.S. we have suffered considerable losses of life in our attempts to help the rest of the world and maintain our own freedom. But I am not aware of any feeling of disrespect for our soldiers by applying military terms to the business environment.

That you feel it to be disrespectful is your right, but I don't believe that applying this a new form of political correctness to the rest of us is appropriate. Especially when you say it would bring loss of life to the workplaces.

Best regards, Ben
Ben:

Thank you for taking time and thought to respond. I always read what you say with careful consideration and I appreciate (yes I will use the word appreciate) your contributions.

I think my written communication befuddled the point and I am guilty of a careless use of the word it to refer to war as terminology for talent and never meant "it" to refer to loss of life which is not what I intended but I can see how it could be read that way.

To me, this is a good illustration of the ambiguity in communicating in text versus a phone or in person conversation. Take care and have a fine weekend.

David
One way communication is always hazardous.

Have a great weekend.

Best, Ben
To answer Theresa's question - We humans seem to be quite good at repeating mistakes, so sadly, I think they will go.

Crumbs! That was unusually pessimistic for me, and on a Friday too after a great week. OK, I've changed my mind, they'll stay.

Truth is, some will stay some will go. Some workplaces know how to rock, others don't.....yet.

Have a delightful weekend all - I'm off to go trail riding with some good buddies :)

RSS

580 Videos Related to Employee Engagement

Click on this eBook listing over 580 videos available on the network. When you open the document up online you can click on the title to go directly to the video. Happy and engaged viewing.

EEN Facebook Feed

The one question employee engagement survey: Why are you still here?

The one question employee engagement survey: Why are you still here?

The shortest Employee Engagement survey has one question | Leandro Herrero
leandroherrero.com
And the question is: ‘Why are you still here?’ You learn about the organization by asking questions to employees when they leave you (exit interviews) but you learn far more when you ask them why they are staying (‘stay’ interviews). It’s not a joke. ‘Why are you still here?’ – with the emphasis on…

Open employee engagement with your key moment http://conta.cc/1p8ny4U

Open employee engagement with your key moment http://conta.cc/1p8ny4U

Open employee engagement with your key moment
conta.cc
What is the key moment at work that has the biggest impact on engagement for you and others? Is it the start of the day? The end of the day? How you begin a mobile meeting? Dealing with a conflict or work overload? Find the key moment and determine what you can do to prevent that moment from turning…

Employee Engagement Definition: A focus on “with others” http://wp.me/p1An1o-4Dw

Employee Engagement Definition: A focus on “with others” http://wp.me/p1An1o-4Dw

Employee Engagement Definition: A focus on "with others"
www.davidzinger.com
Employee engagement is not a solo endeavor (Reading time 42 seconds) I loved reading Kate Nasser’s deeper look at my employee engagement definition of: “good work, done well, with others, every day.” Thank you Kate. She offered an… [ 117 more words. ]

© 2014   Created by David Zinger.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service